In Light of Nature Photography, LLC.
Terms and Conditions
Workshops, Tours, and Lectures
January 10, 2020
Workshops and Tours
Our goal is for you to be safe, comfortable, and satisfied on the photography workshop or tour you take with In Light of Nature. Please communicate with us any questions or concerns you have.
Our photography workshops and tours vary in length, location, season, and physical difficulty. Please read the full workshop/tour description before registering. If you have any questions, please ask us — we are here to help and to make your workshop fun, safe, and enjoyable.
In particular, it is important for you to read the workshop description so you fully understand the physical exertion level, the range of weather conditions to expect, and the required equipment for the workshop.
For your safety and the safety and enjoyment of others in your photography workshop, please follow these rules of behavior:
- You must stay with the workshop group at all times unless the official workshop leader approves you separating from the group for any time period.
- No alcohol or recreational drugs are allowed during the photography workshop. Sobriety is required for participation in workshop or tour activities.
- Be respectful to the others in the workshop. As a student in my photography workshops, your role is to learn, not to try and teach the workshop.
- Please follow the instructions and directions of the official workshop instructor.
- All In Light of Nature Photography workshops and tours require you to submit pre-workshop or pre-tour, information surveys, and waivers. These are required, so we know your interests, physical abilities, and any medical conditions we need to be aware of, your level of hiking expertise and current physical condition, emergency contact information, and the equipment you will have with you on the tour/workshop. You cannot participate in any In Light of Nature photography tour, workshop, or class until you submit these required preparatory forms and waivers.
- I emphasize ethical nature photography practices in my workshops. Please do not intentionally alter the behavior of wildlife in order to photograph them (i.e., no baiting, calling, or intentional flushing or disturbance of wildlife). If you are not sure about anything, please ask me before doing.
In submitting your deposit for each workshop/tour, you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions.
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
The workshop/tour leader may interview potential participants before the workshop/tour to assess whether the potential participant would be well suited for the particular workshop/tour. Consideration of physical ability, experience in outdoor activities, and the ability to work well as a team member in challenging outdoor environments are required to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for the entire workshop/tour group.
We want you to have an enjoyable experience, so let’s get on the same page early on — please contact us with any questions or concerns.
In order to reserve a spot for you in any of our workshops, we need to receive the required deposit of 1/2 the total workshop fee from you. Your full payment for a workshop/tour is due 60 days prior to the workshop start date unless stated otherwise. If your full payment is not received by us 60 days before the workshop starts, we reserve the right to cancel your registration and offer it to the next person on our waiting list for that workshop.
In Light of Nature, Photography accepts Visa and Mastercard credit cards.
In Light of Nature Photography will confirm receipt of your payment within 48 hours of your booking.
Workshop and Tour Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Cancellations made up to 60 days prior to the start date of the workshop you reserved a spot in qualify for a full refund minus an administration fee of 30% of the total workshop fee.
- Cancellations made less than 60 days prior to the start date of the workshop are not eligible for a refund unless we are able to fill your spot. In these situations, a refund will be made, less a 30% of the total workshop cost as an administration fee if, and when, we have successfully completed a new participant’s registration for the workshop/tour you are canceling your participation in.
We will not give any refunds for weather or acts of God or any reasons that are beyond our control and cause delay or cancellation before your arrival, or during any scheduled In Light of Nature Photography workshop or tour. In Light of Nature Photography is not responsible for any additional costs that may be incurred by you for weather or acts of God or any reasons beyond our control.
We have the right to cancel any In Light of Nature Photography workshop or tour up to 45 days prior to the start date of the workshop or tour. If this does occur, you will be refunded for all payments made to In Light of Nature Photography for the workshop/tour that is being canceled. Please note that In Light of Nature Photography will not be responsible for any other expenses, including travel expenses, flights, medical, lodging, car rentals, equipment rentals, or any other additional costs that you may have incurred.
We suggest that you consider obtaining travel insurance to cover any losses you may incur under circumstances beyond our control.
We reserve the right to cancel any In Light of Nature Photography workshops/tours due to a lack of enough participants up to 60 days prior to the workshop date. Although some of our workshops and tours are very small with just 2-3 participants, other workshops and tours have a required minimum attendance. We will list the minimum and maximum attendance in the workshop or tour descriptions.
Please ask us if you have any questions or concerns
If you are unclear about any of our Terms and Conditions, please ask us.
We aim to accommodate you and provide the best photography experience for you. If you have any special needs in consideration of registering for a workshop or tour, please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions about In Light of Nature Photography Workshops and Tours
What is included in your workshops?
Since each In Light of Nature Photography workshop varies, it is important to carefully read the workshop description and understand what is included and what is not included. Generally, transportation, lodging, meals, gasoline, and entry fees to parks, refuges, wildlife management areas, pueblos, and private property are not included. Please see the specifics for the particular workshop you are interested in — and ask questions.
What is the format of your workshops and tours?
In Light of Nature Photography workshops focus on photographic instruction in the field and classroom. Not all workshops have classroom components to them. Each workshop is different in this regard. The workshop syllabus will describe the format.
Tours focus less on instruction and more on showing participants amazing scenery and wildlife to photograph. Some instruction is provided on tours, especially if questions from participants arise while out in the field. Often the tour leader will also be taking some photographs on a tour.
Classroom sessions focus on photographic field technique and post-processing methods and recommendations.
What are the physical demands of In Light of Nature Photography workshops and tours?
Each workshop has different physical demands, ranging from little to no hiking all the way up to backcountry skiing and high-altitude travel. The workshop description will clearly outline the expected physical activities and the recommended physical shape and skills needed.
Our workshops are offered in New Mexico, Colorado, Alaska, Utah, and California — in mountainous and cold environments. It is important to read and understand the workshop description and ask us lots of questions so that you are prepared for the expected, and unexpected, conditions you may experience in the field.
How large are your workshops?
We like to keep our workshops small so that we can provide personalized attention to each participant, provide safer and less intrusive wilderness travels. Sometimes we have larger workshops in which we utilize additional trip leaders and instructors. Many of our workshops and tours have only a few participants.
- “Ride-along” guests are not allowed in our workshops.
- Guests and friends who are not registered are not allowed in our workshops.
- All photographers that attend our workshops must be registered with In Light of Nature.
In Light of Nature Photography focuses on nature photography (i.e., wildlife and landscapes). This requires that we venture out into the wild places. Some workshops require both on-trail and off-trail hiking and uneven ground. Some of the other workshops are based close to your vehicle and require very little walking. Please carefully read the workshop description for what to expect, and please contact us with any questions you might have.
The majority of our field workshops require you to bring:
- A comfortable and sturdy pack to carry your photography gear and tripod,
- Comfortable hiking boots, preferably broken in to avoid blisters,
- A head-lamp — preferably one that has a “red-light” mode for night vision,
- Spare camera batteries, spare memory cards, remote (cable or wireless) timer/trigger, and cables needed for your camera(s),
- Lens cleaning cloth and/or wipes, dust blower.
- Hiking poles are recommended, especially if they help you on uneven surfaces and hiking in low-light conditions.
- Warm hat, waterproof shell, gloves.